Queenscliffe Gallery

2020 Human Emotion Print Exchange details

QG print exchange

The print exchange exhibition is a highlight event during the Queenscliff Literary Festival – and just as much anticipated by the literary world as it is by the art world.

The print exchange theme for 2020 will focus on various human emotion. The literature titles have been compiled by The Bookshop at Queenscliff who will also source each book title that will be posted to each artist participating in the print exchange.

All previous print exchange portfolios can also be viewed online.

https://qgw.com.au/human-emotion-print-exchange/

Happy to participate in this year Queenscliff Gallery print exchange. Each artist is assigned a book based on Human emotion, the idea being read and respond, the only restrictions are the size  and type of printmaking technique used.

The book assigned to me was the delightful Oliver Sacks, titled 'Gratitude'. It is a collection of  essays reflecting on  his life., Sadly Oliver, died on August 30, 2015.

Coming to terms with ones own death is not a subject I dwell on, but after reading Gratitude I relies that the small things in life matter most.

Responding in a manner that would express my own Gratitude was very hard, I started my work on the life of Mr Sacks, but it soon became clear  that it was not working, I could never acutely   interpret the life  of such a great man.  So I approached my response from a personal point of view.
detail study

Study for Gratitude
detail of snow on the face

Registration was crucial  to the finished lino 
images is so tiny i needed a magnifying glass
setting up the press
 printing the lino over the background

hand printing in watercolour  

Gratitude, edition 30, with four artist proofs.
Linocut over digital background with stencilling and hand coloured.
2020

Problems,  being a small plate it was hard for me to cut the fine details on the dress, so had to use a magnifying glass at times. Also the lino was cut out so deep a board was applied to the back, this is something I almost never do. Registration of the various components was a  key issues, as all the plates had to be exact and in line.  Inking, was a bit tricky as my normal relief ink was to soft and runny, the viscosity was off , so reverted to using litho ink, medium stiffness which proved to be great as it could be applied thin and did not fill in the fine details. 

Artist statement, inspired by the words of Oliver Sacks, 'its is the fate of every human being to be a unique individual, to find his own path, to live his own life, to die his own death'.

My work reflects on this,  I am grateful for my  Irish/ Scottish heritage, for the early years in scotland, for the dance lessons with two left feet, for the snow at Christmas time, for my love of all animals, for my travels to new lands and especially for my education.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big kate....leaving for good,!,,,,

Ideas for first day France

A Book for Christine Turner